Sunday, January 13, 2008

Week 1- Bevans, Chapter 1 (Contextual Theology)

An interesting read, until I found myself confused at the very end of the chapter as he writes, "Christian theologians need to do theology contextually because God is present and acts contextually." God acts contextually? I'm not sure if he was referring and describing that God acts in the context of people's cultures or God only acts in specifics contexts, but I am confused. However, I enjoyed his bold statement in the beginning as basically rebuked "theology" all together and helped the audience understand what it means to contextualize theologies, thoughts, and opinions about texts, criticisms, and the Scriptures. His argument in which the methods of Christianity in our Western Culture to others around the world may be viewed in their context as secular, religious, and even mythological is an interesting argument. Never would I have thought the Eucharist and the Incarnation of God be perceived other than images of God, the Father, the God who pursues our lives. Certainly a new challenge in my thought process. 

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am pretty sure Bevans meant, " God acts in the context of people's cultures." Good reviews this week.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home